I get asked day in day out my opinion on different diets that are advertised, some of which I haven’t even heard of!
Many of these diets are short term fixes, if that, so when the weight goes back on who do you blame? Usually yourself, not the product.
I am going to go through some of the most common to date.
1. Clean Eating
• The principles of this diet are great – go for whole products free from added sugar, fat and salt which is what Dietitians around have been telling people for decades. What I don’t like is the name – would you eat something dirty? (Aside from when you were a child and reached for anything insight, clean or not). It puts good and bad connotations on food which isn’t healthy in a long-term balanced lifestyle.
2. Gluten free/Wheat free/Dairy free etc.
• How many of you have decided to cut out carbs or dairy and see if you lose weight? I have countless friends that try these quick fix trends when they don’t have an allergy or intolerance to these foods. These products have been designed for those whose bodies can’t digest or are allergic to an ingredient – they choose these products because they don’t want to be bloated, not absorbing nutrients or sitting on the toilet for hours.
• Superfoods have been around for a number of years now and are meant to contain a large amount of nutrients and antioxidants. Companies are using this terminology and running wild. Yes these foods have more nutrients packed into one food, so you wouldn’t need to eat as much, but you cannot gain all your nutrition from these foods alone. The simple message with superfoods is eating a wide variety of foods from all the 5 food groups is going to increase the chance of you meeting your nutritional requirements – that’s pretty super I think!
4. Detox Diets
• Let’s avoid eating toxins is what a detox diet is all about; I don’t think anyone is going to seek out a toxin and eat in willingly. The fact companies have marketed drinks that you consume for x amount of days to cleanse, purify and detox the body is a waste of money when you have a liver, two lungs and a whole lymphatic system that removes any potential dangerous chemicals free of charge.
The day will come when the biggest diet trend around is a healthy balanced diet – until then tread with caution. Have a look at the Australian Guide to Healthy Eating Website and see recommended daily intakes – see how you compare.